Daviot Church

The Church of Daviot was granted its charter in the 13th century as a mensal kirk for Elgin Cathederal and the Abbey of Pluscarden. The original church may have been built about the time of the reformation. A later church was certainly built in 1763-4 although no trace remains. (1795 Old Statistical Account Vol. 14 pg70).

Dates from 1826

The present church dates from 1826 and is situated beside a small hillock, locally known for generations (at least from the time of the old drove roads) as Cnoc an t’Saigart, the ‘Priest’s Hillock’. (Now across the new A9).

Price was £873

The contractors were Macphail and Macfarlane (or Macpharlane). The specification and possibly the design was prepared by Alexander Grant factor to The Mackintosh. The contract price was £873 13s 0d. The galleries were removed and the walls were strengthened with steel tie rods in 1936. Daviot and Dunlichity parishes were united in 1618.

After the Reformation

After the Reformation there came an unsettled period of national turmoil, with the story of the parish reflecting the conflicting claims of Presbyterianism and Episcopacy. The repercussions continued well beyond the Protestant ‘Settlement’ of 1690, and the Jacobite defeat at Culloden in 1745, and have been painfully felt in these parts of the Highlands. In the early 19th century, the parish of Daviot became the scene of one of the test cases over the question of patronage, which led to the 1843 Disruption and the establishment of the Free Church of Scotland.

Kirk of the golden cockerel

A landmark on the new A9, Inverness 5 miles north. Daviot Church, was formerly known to drovers as the ‘kirk of the golden cockerel’ because of its distinctive weather vane. Near the church door to the right is the burial plot of the family of the late Rev. Alistair MacLean, the writer father of the famous author of the same name, and to the left is that of the late Rev. Dr. John MacPherson.

Completely restored in 1991

The present building replaced a previous building with its separate bell tower, it was completely restored in 1991, with substantial help from Historic Scotland. It is now part of the linked charge of Daviot and Dunlichity with Moy, Dalarossie and Tomatin.

‘Daviot Church

Daviot Church is a famous landmark on the A9 on an ancient site of worship. With the help of a grant from Historic Scotland and the General Trustees it was completely renovated in 1991. The roof was repaired, the gallery restored, the buttresses holding up the walls no longer necessary therefore removed and even the cockerel on the Steeple was re gilded. It was a tremendous undertaking, but with God’s help and inspiration the work was done and paid for with no debts. It is a building with a long history, but since it’s renovation a wonderful feeling of light and uplifting spirit makes worship here an awesome experience.

Worship

SUNDAY WORSHIP TAKES PLACE EACH WEEK AT DAVIOT CHURCH 12 NOON

Our services at Daviot Church are at 12 noon each Sunday. We enjoy those who come so faithfully to lead us in worship during our vacancy. We mainly use CH4, though we also use Mission Praise occasionally – depending on who is leading the service and their wishes.

The last few years of Daviot & Dunlichity Parish have seen many changes. Since Daviot Church was restored in 1990, there have been weekly services held at Daviot at 12 Noon. Before then the services alternated between Daviot & Dunlichty Churches. Unfortunately Dunlichity Church has now been closed.

We have had a variety of very interesting speakers over the last year and enjoyed concerts and special evening services following the themes of our beautiful wall hangings at Daviot Church created by textile artist the late Jannette Sutherland. They are very special and so often admired. We have already had our service of Hope, Peace and Love and look forward now to our service of Faith which will be held in the Spring of 2020. We enjoy a time of fellowship after these services with refreshments being served.

For the World Day of Prayer, and on Good Friday, and sometimes around New Year, we have Joint Services with our sister parish of Moy, Tomatin and Dalarossie, with the venue alternating between the two parishes. Times vary.

We hold a joint Remembrance Sunday Service with St Paul’s, Croachy. This is held at 10.15am at the War memorial at Daviot where a wreath is laid. This is followed by the Service at Daviot Church.

Refreshments are served after the service. We have a Christmas Midnight service on Christmas Eve starting at 11.15pm. This is always a lovely service where we often see visitors.

Pulpit supply is provided by various Ministers and Readers, including Vivian Roden from Moy, Dalarossie & Tomatin and Deaconess Joyce Mitchell. All are warmly welcome at any, or all of our services or activities.

The Rev. Reg Campbell gave a 5 minute talk at the Dunlichity service in June 2018 celebrating the union of Daviot & Dunlichity’s 400th Anniversary.

We were joined by the children of Daviot and Farr schools for a lovely evening of Carols

Click on the images for a larger view